Monday, January 11, 2010

Ahem


I'm taking a break from my Andrew-Lee Potts scour of the internets to write about Dexter.

Okay. First of all, I am obsessed with this show. Michael C. Hall is a brilliant brilliant man, and his real life wife Jennifer Carpenter is a stunning actress. But that's beside the point. If you haven't already heard, for some weird off the wall reason, this show is about a serial killer. Who kills other serial killers. Advertisements of the show, in fact, have called Dexter "America's favorite serial killer". He has a wife, a sister, and three kids, and claims to have no emotions. However, that little tidbit is tested every single episode, and it's sort of a game to see just how much you can root for him.

The answer is a lot. He is a very likeable man, believe it or not. He does care deeply about the people around him, no matter what he says, and he is... oddly charming. He was emotionally scarred at a very young age, which invokes pity.

The settings and the music set to dramatic scenes could be seen as making light of tragic events, but in some way they do not. Instead, they show viewers the truth: that even though something awful happens in one place, it does not matter much in the whole scheme of the world. I believe that this is a way of showing how Dexter believes himself to be; uncaring and detached. However, it mirrors society today instead, showing us how jaded we are. The show might as well be a documentary. I'm sure feelings would be the same.

I have no doubt that if people stick through the show for all four seasons, they are indeed rooting for Dexter. A killer.

Of course something like this would cause controversy; a show in which viewers constantly find themselves empathizing with a killer. Does the fact that he only kills other murderers justify his actions? Couldn't you lump him in with vigilantes such as Batman, if you look at it in a different light? I mean, Batman is something celebrated, and kids especially are exposed to him. Batman has a secret life as well, and I'm certain anyone would tell you that the character enjoys what he does. What is the difference between them?
This show is constantly shoving the issues of right and wrong in your face, and that is something that many of us try to avoid. Death is scary to everyone, I think, and "entertainment" like this could cause much uneasiness.

We are taught since childhood that harm towards others is wrong, and not to respond to violence with violence. Yet, the death penalty is legal. I've been linking that issue together with Dexter for a loonngggg time. It's easy to state that you don't believe in the death penalty, but once you bring it down to your level, it's a different matter entirely. Most people take the stance that it depends on the situation, but ultimately, who decides when it should be used? I think if you do not agree with what Dexter does, regardless of the fact that he enjoys what he does to the fullest capacity, then you should also shun the death penalty. And vice versa.

After every single episode I find myself thinking about this and then I drag on to reality and how I will never really find any answers. It's madness.

I guess what I am trying to say is that this show is not some sadistic thing warping minds, but something of worth that raises questions in everything; the world in general, and especially ourselves and our own beliefs.
----------------------------------------------------
I don't think I got to any particular point with this; I kinda rambled on and on. I hope it makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Ammupappa