Friday, January 15, 2010

Mother/Daughter Day I Guess, Minus One Daughter



Today was a lot of fun. Mom and I left Diana at home (by her choice, not ours) and went shopping. It makes me sort of sad that I can't resist Target, though. Most of the time I end up with something that I really like and then I can't bring myself to put it down. I found this mustard yellow cardigan, but it was ten dollars and I couldn't believe myself but I almost bought it. What is with me and sweaters? But I found a wall clock for my room. It's sorta just a plain old thing, but I think it was necessary. I hate always having to look for my phone to check the time when I'm getting ready and such. Ahem. Back to the day- sorry about the unnecessary tangent.

After we finished Targeting and Kohl'sing, we went out to dinner. I can't even recall the last time we went out together, just us. It was really nice, we laughed and talked about school and a bunch of different things. I see her every day, but we usually just cover the basic stuff, you know? Throughout the rides we listened to Jim Gaffigan. That man is funny every time. (Oh, and I'm going bowling tomorrow Harley)

We went to go see The Lovely Bones after dinner. I don't go to movies that often, unfortunately, but I'm glad we went to see this one. Dunno, even though she creeped me out in Atonement, Saoirse Ronan is amazing. She's really pretty, but then again when you think about it she's just one of those people that look really weird but are appealing anyway. Not that I have a crush on her or anything, mann. You know what I mean.
I cried throughout the entire film. I read the book months ago, so there weren't any surprises, but I was really curious about how images would play out onscreen. The settings on Earth were awesome, but I really do think Peter Jackson went a little over board with the In-Between. It just wasn't right. Some parts were really good, like the scene where Susie Salmon meets the other girls who are trying to help her move on. Sounds dumb, sorta, I know, but it is really moving. I think that he was just trying to make it all as shadowy and dark as possible.

Now, I've seen a heck of a lot of slasher movies, but I really thought I was just going to through up in one of the final scenes: the one with the sinkhole. *Shudder* It was just awful to watch. I really hate when the audience knows so much more than the people in the movie.

Rachel Weisz was really good towards the beginning, but then her character kinda dwindled away. I just feel like there is so much more she could have done. Maybe it's not her fault... she didn't have a lot of screen time. Susan Sarandon was a good, straight-forward character. She showed no signs of grief, which I took to mean that she was just ballsy and knew that nothing would change. She knew what no one else did: that there would be no retribution or revenge, and that would be that.

Stanley Tucci was soo creepy. The scene where Lindsey is in his house is absolutely shivery, and his eyes... ugh. The scene with Susie is played out pretty well, and there's just this moment where you know for sure that he's... evil. For those that read the book, I think, like me, you'll start watching and then just think, after seeing all the characters come to life, that it'll end differently.

Mark's character was alright, just alright, and that's all I am going to say. There will be no Mark bashing here.
Anyway, this film just goes along with the depressing thoughts that I've been having lately. It's supposed to be uplifting, in a way. But it just... didn't work that way for me. No matter what happened with Susie and her In-Between, she was still gone. I just couldn't get around that, even when I read the book, and that means that there is no chance for a happy ending.

Well, I'm tired. Tomorrow I'll have a post with stuff I bought, I guess.

Now it's time for bed. Yayy, knee socks, my snowflake pajama bottoms, and my slippers.

....



Oh, and Shutter Island looks bomb.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel Weisz had much of her scenes cut out of the film. She herself confirmed it in interviews. As for the film, i did not like it. Too much special effects, not enough story.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Ammupappa